This is an overview of the Seagull Excursion series of acoustic guitars.
These guitars are Seagull?s lowest priced guitars ? coming in at an average price well under?$500 (USD).
There are 6 different options in the Excursion series, including 3 different shape options and the option of electronics or no electronics. The 6 models are:
- Seagull Excursion Natural Solid Spruce
- Seagull Excursion Natural Solid Spruce ISYST (electronics)
- Seagull Excursion Natural Folk Solid Spruce
- Seagull Excursion Natural Folk Solid Spruce ISYST (electronics)
- Seagull Excursion Natural Solid Spruce Grand
- Seagull Excursion Natural Solid Spruce Grand ISYST (electronics)
O.k. let?s take a look at each guitar in more detail individually.
Seagull Excursion Natural Solid Spruce – $349
The first of the Excursion series I?ll look at is the Excursion Natural Solid Spruce. This is the dreadnought model. As the name suggests, this guitar features a Solid Spruce top.
- Body Shape/Size: Dreadnought
- Solid Spruce Top
- Laminate Wild Cherry Back and Sides
- Adirondack Spruce, Scalloped X, Quarter-sawn Bracing
- Silver Leaf Maple Neck
- Rosewood Fingerboard
- 24.84? (631mm) scale length
- 1.72? (43.7mm) nut width
- Tusq Nut
- Rosewood Bridge with Compensated Tusq Saddle
- Cutaway: No
- Electronics: No electronics on this model (see next guitar for the electric-acoustic model)
Like all Seagull guitars, the Excursion series guitars also feature their unique tapered headstock.
This guitar, and all the guitars in the Excursion series, features a shortened scale length – 24.84? (631mm) ? which helps to make the guitar easier to play for beginners. So as well as the price tag, this also helps to make them suitable as beginner guitars.
Seagull Excursion Natural Solid Spruce ISYST – $409
This is simply the same as the first guitar above, except that it comes with built-in electronics.
This is a Fishman electronics setup including preamp and an in-built tuner and all the basic controls like volume, bass, treble and phase.
Seagull Excursion Natural Folk Solid Spruce – $349
This has all the same materials as the Dreadnought model ? and the same scale length, nut width etc.
The major difference is the body shape. It is a smaller body shape ? and that will have a significant difference on the tone and will also affect the feel of the guitar.
The dimensions differ from the Dreadnought as follows:
- Lower Bout: 14.76? (375mm) ? vs 15.87? (403mm) on the Dreadnought
- Upper Bout: 11.14? (283mm) ? vs 11.38? (289mm) on the Dreadnought
- Waist: 9.46? (240mm) ? vs 10.54? (268mm) on the Dreadnought
- Body Length: 19.6? (498mm) ? vs 19.8? (503mmm) on the Dreadnought
- Body Depth: 4.5? (114mm) ? vs 4.9? (124mm) on the Dreadnought
Seagull Excursion Natural Folk Solid Spruce ISYST- $409
This model is the same as the Excursion Natural Folk Solid Spruce except that it has in-built Fishman electronics.
Seagull Excursion Natural Solid Spruce Grand – $349
Finally, we come to the Grand models.
Again, this model features the same materials and pretty much everything the same as the preceding models with the one big difference being the shape/size.
This is a Parlor size guitar and the difference in size is outlined below in the table:
|Lower Bout Width||15.87|
As you can see the Grand Models are considerably smaller than the other 2 models.
Seagull Excursion Natural Solid Spruce Grand ISYST- $409
This model is the same as the Excursion Natural Solid Spruce Grand except that it has in-built Fishman electronics.
There you have a quick overview of Seagull?s Excursion series of guitars. Hopefully this has helped you to learn more about them.
If you?re looking for a reasonably priced entry level guitar that is still of decent quality, then the Excursion series is worth taking a look at.
Check out some of the other Seagull series guitars at the link below:
>>Acoustic Guitar Overviews by Series